Types of concrete deterioration:
· Freeze/Thaw Cycles - water to ice expansion, pop-outs, cracking, etc.
· Acid Attack
· AAR (alkali-aggregate reaction)
· ASR (alkali-silica/silicate reaction)
· ACR (alkali carbonate reaction)
· Contaminated Concrete
· Deteriorated concrete (includes reinforcing steel deterioration)
· Cracks and Joint Failure
· Broken Concrete
· Rebar Corrosion-related Cracking
· Abrasion Damage
· Erosion By Abrasion
· Plastic Shrinkage Cracking
· Structural Crack
Identifying and repairing these defects is a task for specialists. Industry leaders such as the American Concrete Institute, International Concrete Repair Institute and SSPC (The Society for Protective Coatings) have developed standards, manuals, methods, and recommendations that a concrete coating inspector must read and understand to make solid decisions regarding the inspection of repairs and defects in concrete. PCR follows the best international practices for concrete rehabilitation.